Simple Collard Green Recipe





From my home to yours: Simple Collard Greens Recipe

In honor of Thanksgiving this week I decided to post a collard green recipe. Keep in mind this was the first time I have ever made greens! I also, did not grow up eating collard greens, but I figured it was time to show myself how to make them. Below is the recipe I used, and I must say I did a great job!



4 slices of bacon
1 tsp of garlic salt
2 gloves of garlic
1 tbsp of Sugar
1 White Onion
1 cube of Chicken Broth
1 bag of Collard Greens (pre-washed and cut)
1/3 cup of Cider Vinegar (I use the brand Braggs)
1 cup of water
3 tsp of Tapatio Hot Sauce (optional)

Preparation Time: 70 minutes

First, chop the bacon, onion, and garlic into small pieces. In a deep pan put oil (I use coconut oil) and cook the bacon, onion, and garlic together. Keep the pot with the lid on to keep more flavor. Do not fully cook the bacon, it is best to cook the bacon until it has brown edges. After the bacon, onion, and garlic are done cooking add the garlic salt, sugar, and apple cider vinegar. In the same pot add the collard greens, water, and chicken broth (if needed add more salt). It may look like all the greens will not fit, but they will. Leave the pot in low medium, and let it cook for an hour. I only checked on mine after 30 minutes, and stirred the pot. The reason why you should leave it on low medium is to slowly cook the greens not boil them.


(I did not use a deeper pot because chili was being made in it at the time! yum! and also this pot I can take better pictures with!)


Keep in mind there are many variations as to how to make greens. You can make it without the bacon, you can add a turkey leg, you can also buy collard greens they are not packaged (you would have to wash them and cut them yourself), and many more ways to make them.






I hope you enjoy the greens as much as I did!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

SOCIAL

Search This Blog

Instagram

Popular Posts

Labels

Powered by Blogger.

Blogroll